Saturday, December 8, 2012


I have taken plentiful figure drawing courses, but depicting ultra realistic figures is not my goal when creating the paintings in my "Deep Sea Series."  Ideas stir in my mind, then mentally I dive under the ocean and begin to see the images.  As I draw the cartoons, (the fine arts type), there is a continuous dialogue between my mind, my eyes, my hand and what I am feeling.
Once the drawings match my visions, they are transferred onto the canvases and, as I am painting, I swim underwater again.   Colors float, dissipate, blur, vibrate, become transparent.  Eyes, hands or mouths, tails, fins distort.  Life is always moving, even while it stands still.
Approaching a painting in this manner is very different than working from real life. And I enjoy doing that also.  But I find great poetry and freedom in creating what in our reality is, so far, not possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment