Saturday, December 8, 2012


When I was younger, my father and I would arrive at the beach by seven on summer Saturday and Sunday mornings. The ocean seemed asleep at that early time of day.  The sun, lukewarm and yellow, yawned on the horizon,  gently casting its lazy light upon the calm, glassy sea.

But I was ready to go!  I would slap a cheap rubber diving mask on my face and plunge into the water.  Since I never learned how to swim properly, I spent most of my time under it.  That is where the magic was.  I'd see schools of little sandy fish, a crab here and there, and small puffers on occasion.  Once, a shiny, sword-like fish crossed my view and took off  like a flash of lightning.  Excited and breathless, I described this weird thing I saw to my father, and he said it was a "good thing" it took off like lightning because he was sure that it was a barracuda!

I would imagine what it would be like to live underwater with the sea creatures.  How fantastic if my lungs adapted, and I could freely roam and feast my eyes on this mysterious, alien world!     Breathtaking.

This wonder has stayed with me.  Through my paintings I have been able to give this wonder a voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment